Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pop

"I don't like you Gregg Popavich, but goddam I respect you."

That used to be my mantra when discussing the way too successful Gregg Popovich. He coaches my archrivals, and he's damn good at it.

I've always suspected he had a very dry sense of humor. I used to get a kick out of watching him grab Craig Sager's perfectly-matched handkerchief, and wipe his sweaty brow with it.

After last night, I actually kind of like him.

That hack-a-Shaq on the first play of the game is literally the funniest thing I have ever seen in a sports game.

It took balls. Who knows how Shaq would havw reacted. He could have easily punched Michael Finley (which would have been glorious), and started a brawl that ESPN could play in slo-mo for weeks, all the while talking about what a disgrace it is.

Instead he flashed Shaq that hesitant smile and thumbs up, and Shaq had no choice but to laugh right back.

In a world where far too many people take themselves and what they do much too seriously, it was a welcome break.

No comments: