Tuesday, December 16, 2008

How about some love?

I admit it completely, I love Dirk.

I love him more than one heterosexual male should ever admit when regarding another heterosexual male.

But I don't think I'm letting my man-love for the Dirkster cloud my judgement when I'm saying that he is being vastly ignored for what he is doing this year.

He is third in the NBA in scoring, only behind D-Wade and LeBron James.

Take Wade out since his team lives and dies by him, and even then, they have lost when he scores 30, 36, 40. He has scored 21, 17, 15 in the last few games, and they have lost to Atlanta, Memphis and Milwaukee by an average of 15 points.

LBJ's average is actually a little lower than his career average, but his team is dominating everyone they meet.

But guess what? All you've been hearing about is the return of Wade, the dominance of James, James in 2010, Kobe becoming less selfish, and the like.

No one is talking about the amazing season Dirk is having. In addition to his scoring being the second-highest it's ever been, his rebounding is the second highest ever, a full RPG above his career average.

Always great from the charity stripe, he's currently at 91.4%, a full percent point than his best season ever.

His percentage from the field is down to the lowest since 04-05, but barely. He is also taking more of the offensive load with Howard being out and Terry coming in off the bench.

The NBA is giving him love, with Dirk being named the Western Conference Player of the Week twice.

But you would never know if you were just reading ESPN. I read the Dallas News Mavericks Blog, and that's the only way I found out.

So please, NBA fans and media alike, give Dirk some love. He's having an incredible season, and while the Mavs can't be called contenders, Dirk is doing more than his part, and if the team comes together, they could be very dangerous.

No comments: