Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Week in Review: 1/18-1/25

Introducing a new feature here at Dirk Is My Homeboy: The Week in Review.

Here I will discuss the past week in Mavs games, and what we've learned over the course of the week.

This is the beginning of what I hope will me more updates, as I need to stop slacking and tighten up.

Without further ado:

Though the week began with a thrilling buzzer-beater from the Dirkster, the afterglow soon faded away.

While a win over a disintegrating Pistons team is nice, two blowouts are never a good thing, even if the opponents represent the spectrum of the Eastern Conference playoff teams.

While we might want to refrain from playing "Taps," it seems much closer than any sort of playoff win.

This week the Mavs play two franchises who have done a large part in getting us to where we are today. Will the thought of revenge spark the Mavs into getting better?

Last week's scores

1/19: Mavs 95, 76ers 93
1/21:
Mavs 99, Bucks 133
1/23: Mavs 112, Pistons 91

Uhh...I think that's all the games they played. What's that? No, I've never heard of the....the Keltics, is that what you call them? Okay, fine...

1/25: Mavs a little, Celtics a lot

Satisfied? No. Jeez, you people are monsters.

1/25: Mavs 100, Celtics 124

I guess we can all take consolation in the fact that the Celtics beat them by less than the Bucks. You'll excuse me if that doesn't make me want to celebrate. Drink heavily, yes. But no celebrating.

The main problem from the Mavericks has been their lack of defense. They've allowed 100 points way too many times this year, and they've allowed more than 120 three times in the last nine games.

It seems like the Mavs are becoming a D'Antoni/Nellie style team, emphasis on the run-and-gun, and little defensive committment.

Which is all fine and dandy, after all, those teams were always fun to watch, and they tend to make use out of minimal talent. Don't believe me? Look what D'Antoni is doing to the Knicks with the talent they've got.

But herein lies to rub: The Mavs aren't dynamic/consistent enough to outscore people night after night.

With the Iverson Nuggets, the D'Antoni Suns, and the Baron Davis Warriors, you knew they were capable of winning a 130-120 game. I don't think these Mavericks can do it.

Terry is a streaky shooter, even though he's having an amazing year. Josh Howard is also streaky, especially when he falls in love with his jumper.

Despite all that has gone wrong, I remain faithful that the Mavs have the talent to put it all together, hopefully in time to make a deep playoff run.

And that my friends, might be the saddest delusion of all.

No comments: